Thursday, November 13, 2014

It Gets Worse Before It Gets Better

As I said here, I decided to go ahead with my nipple reconstruction.  It's not like I'm all of a sudden going to produce milk when I eventually get pregos, but I mostly wanted them for a little bit normalcy.  I had also mentioned that I was a little nervous about how the right one was healing, since it decided to miss the memo and not go with the program.

About five days after the procedure I was kind of nervous so I called the plastic surgeons office to find out if it was normal or if that nip was on its way out.  I explained it all to the nurse and she said that my issue is nothing to be concerned about, which I was relieved, but still nervous.  She told me that if I was still concerned over the next couple of days that I could stop in and have them take a look at it.

Between the time that I talked with her and the time that I officially started getting nervous it got worse and looked like this:

nipple reconstruction, breast cancer, survivor, nipple, reconstruction, surgery, procedure

nipple reconstruction, breast cancer, survivor, nipple, reconstruction, surgery, procedure


It didn't seem like it was getting any better and with it being a Friday, and their office was closed on the weekends, I opted to stop in and have them check it out.  Well, I drive up to the office and go figure the place is PACKED! Packed like a can of sardines.  I walked up to the desk and told the front desk clerk that about my little problem and asked if there was time for me to see someone.  She said that she would have to take down my information and forward it to one of the nurses to give me a call.  Great.  I had to work in a few hours, which made my anxiety shoot through the roof.    After I made a few phone calls, and got things taken care of with work, my favorite nurse called me back and said that they could squeeze me in.

I hurried up there, met with her and she COMPLETELY calmed my nerves.  She said that she's seen enough to know that my problem is just that the right one is just healing slower and to keep putting on triple antibiotic and gave me a huge stack of gauze and sent me on my way.  *sigh...TOTAL relief*  I had an appointment a few days later anyways to have her take the stitches out, so I was most definitely looking forward to that.  The next couple days were spent gauzing, applying triple antibiotic and making sure my gauze wasn't going to fall out of my bra.  The day came to get the stitches out and I was apprehensive, nervous and super excited.  The appointment went fast.  In and out within about 15 minutes and I actually had a little bit of feeling as she was taking out the stitches, which was pretty amazing if I say so myself!  I don't know if it was the fact that my body was much more relaxed and my anxiety had drastically decreased, but over the days following the stitches removal, the "raw" area sunk together and is currently on the road to recovery and looking "normal".  I realized right after, that the healing process is like a renovation project...it always looks worse before it looks better!


I am fully healed now from the procedure, just over a month, but I'm there!



nipple reconstruction, breast cancer, survivor, nipple, reconstruction, surgery, procedure


They are kind of difficult to see, but once I get the tattooing done they are going to look as real as I can get!!

I had my follow up with my plastic surgeon and he said that everything is healing well. As a matter
of fact, I have my areola/nipple tattooing scheduled for December 3rd! Who's excited? This girl is!

1 comment:

  1. I think they look great, and they will continue to look better as time goes by. You must be so pleased! My nipple reconstruction is for June 2. Can't wait!
    x

    ReplyDelete