Monday, February 23, 2015

DIY Industrial Handrail

I was NOT a fan of our old handrail.  It was just a standard wood one and would have done the trick, but for what I had planned for the hallway it just wasn't going to work.

This is what we started with:

industrial, budget, hand rail, rail, handrail, diy, basement, hallway, before, before and after, after, painting, stairs

  And after the project was completed we ended up with this:
Please excuse Mae's tush.  

industrial, budget, hand rail, rail, handrail, diy, basement, hallway, before, before and after, after, painting, stairs

We got the idea for this type of handrail from here:

What you need: 
  • 3-1 1/4 inch galvanized Tee's -Red dot
  • 3-1 1/4 galvanized 90 degree elbow -Blue dot
  • 2- 1 1/4 inch galvanized caps - Green dot
  • 2- 1 1/4 inch x 6 inch galvanized pipe -Purple dot
  • 2- 1/4 inch x 5 foot galvanized pipe -Orange dot
  • 3- 1 1/4 inch x 2 inch galvanized pipe -Pink dot
  • 3- 1 1/4 inch x close galvanized pipe -Teal dot
  • 3- 1 1/4 inch galvanized floor flanges -Yellow dot

industrial, budget, hand rail, rail, handrail, diy, basement, hallway, before, before and after, after, painting, stairs

The hubby pieced together the entire rail before attaching it to the wall.

industrial, budget, hand rail, rail, handrail, diy, basement, hallway, before, before and after, after, painting, stairs, galvanized pipe

From there he brought it over and got it hung.  One thing, make sure not to tighten things too tight right away, as the handrail gets secured to the wall it shifts and naturally tightens.  If it's too tight things can't be adjusted and makes it WAY more difficult!

industrial, budget, hand rail, rail, handrail, diy, basement, hallway, before, before and after, after, painting, stairs, galvanized pipe

The pipe had an grease coating on it, kind of gross, but with a little persistence and some Goo Gone we were able to take care of it.

I'd recommend taking your time with this project.  The hubs was on a mission to surprise me and get this done before I got home from work, which he did, but ended with him slamming his thumb nail and getting a pretty gnarly bruise.  

At least the project was a total win for us which makes the injury somewhat worth it!

8 comments:

  1. Well, I guess a metal handrail is way better than the wooden one because it will surely last longer. Your husband did a great effort to surprise you with this. I'm sure many people who'll read this will have a great idea for their handrails too. Thanks for sharing, Emily! :)

    Bernice Parsons @ Badger Anodising

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading! We love how it turned out!

      Delete
  2. I'm thinking of making one of these for my railing. I'm wondering, though, how heavy it is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't terribly heavy, my husband put it together in sections to make it easier to attach to the wall.

      Delete
  3. This is awesome. A copper option could also look great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just want to say thank you for sharing a great information.I've read a lot of blogs but most of them are boring. Your article made me feel fascinating. I am going to share this information with my friends on social media networking sites!
    How to add glamour to your house , metal fences Calgary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fine writing ! Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful blog. It's clean, engaging and very very enjoible. Keep writing as I am waiting for your next.Welding Calgary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very informative and useful post. I see you have a lot of other cool stuffs available in your disposal, I am going to bookmark it to read in my spare time. Thanks and keep the good work up. Railings Calgary

    ReplyDelete