The hubs managed to get his hands on an old floor cabinet, and for the time being we went to Home Depot and bought a laminate counter and voila...we had a desk. It wasn't the prettiest thing in the world, but we managed at the time.
This room bothered me for several reasons:
- I couldn't stand the half-assed-ness of this room.
- I felt like it was patched together, which it mostly was with random crap that we had.
- The shelf above the desk was lame and mostly a dust collector
- It was awkward
- Also during the first year-ish that we had the house we were helping out a friend by letting her stay with us, so the upstairs was mostly her area...and she wasn't clean...so this room was dirty.
He started out by moving the cabinet from its original spot to in front of the window, followed by measuring out how many 2x4's he would need. Once the 2x4's were cut down to size he was able to set them in and get them nailed and secured into place.
We wanted something kind of rustic and worn looking, so we took a bunch nails, screws, a hammer and a bunch of other miscellaneous tools and went to town on the 2x4's, giving them an aged look. We pounded the screws and nails in sideways using the hammer to make indentations into the wood. Once we were content with the distressing, we used Minwax's Gunstock and stained the wood, followed by two coats of polyurethane.
I painted the cabinet Sherwin Williams "Marshmallow" and we put the room back together!
I love love love how the room looks so much more put together then before!
The office looks 1,000 times better then it did before, but we still have a list of things we need to get for this room:
- Bamboo blinds for the window and the door
- A rug to warm up the room
- Some wall art
- Functional organization for the cabinet
- Crown molding
- Replace the "boob light" with something I can DIY!
Because I love the before and afters:
As I type, the hubs is working on the bathroom...and well I should really be helping....updates to come!