Thursday, April 18, 2013

Decorating with Letters



I've been wanting to do some type of DIY decor for a while in between the door for the downstairs bathroom and the back door, but between the bathroom project and work, I haven't had time...until today! I found the tutorial here and drove up to Joann Fabrics to get my materials.  Of course my luck, once I got there they didn't have the paper mache letters that I was looking for, so I had to improvise because I didn't want to wait any longer to do this project and I bought some flat wood letters (12 inches each) that worked just as well!  They were $1.00 off, so I got them each for $4.99.  I then bought some Rust-oleum "Hammered" spray paint, which was about $5.00 so this project only cost around $20.00 for everything....not too bad if I say so myself!  The thought did cross my mind to just have the hubs cut out the letters himself from some scrap wood that we have in the basement, but that would have taken too long (what I mean by too long is I would have had to wait a day, and I wanted the project done like yesterday) So if you know someone that has a scroll saw and can cut out the letters themselves you can do this project for practically free.

I wanted to use the Hammered spray paint because it matched with my drawer pulls, but any color would look pretty cool with the letters, just depends on what colors are in your kitchen!

wood letters, spray paint, kitchen decor, decor, DIY
I brought them outside and started spray painting them.  It was kind of cold out today when I was working on the project so I had to spray paint outside, taken them inside, let them dry for a while, then go back outside in the elements and go through the whole process again.  It was kind of a pain, but totally worth it!

wood letters, spray paint, kitchen decor, decor, DIY

 Like in the tutorial I found I used Command Strips to hang them.  I was a little worried because obviously the wood letters were heavier then the paper mache letters, but I haven't had any problems!  I'm so happy with how they turned out and I'm really surprised with how much more complete the kitchen looks!

wood letters, spray paint, kitchen decor, decor, DIY


wood letters, spray paint, kitchen decor, decor, DIY

No comments:

Post a Comment