Thursday, February 14, 2013

Dresser Redo

One of our neighbors offered us two dressers that they didn't need anymore.  I jump at ANY opportunity for free or super cheap furniture so we brought  them home.

The soft blue dresser that we got was in great condition for it's age and had a distressed look that I really like, so we moved it upstairs and that's been it's home ever since.

Dresser Project

Onto the disaster dresser....

Both dressers were in the basement and while the blue one didn't have any mold on it, the white-ish one did.  You could see it creeping up the dresser and frankly it was kind of gross.  I love the style of the dresser and knew that it would be a fun redo.


Dresser Project

Dresser Project
 Of course June had to get in the picture...

Dresser Project
 Besides the mold that was on the dresser it was covered in scratches and scuffs... I love the distressed look by this dresser was terrible.


Dresser Project



Dresser Project


The hubs went to town sanding and scraping the hell out of this dresser, especially the areas where there was mold, trying to get off as much as he could without damaging the wood underneath.





Dresser Project

Dresser Project I actually really liked the way the dresser looked here...but we wanted to prime and dresser to be safe since there was so much mold on it.


Dresser Project So the hubs taped off the parts that he was going to prime so he could keep clean paint edges, then primed the dresser with Zissner FastPrime2.


Dresser Project
Dresser Project

Dresser Project






We had talked about what color to paint the dresser and I told the hubs that I wanted it to be a soft yellow. He went to the store with the paint color in hand that I picked out and came back with school bus yellow, well it wasn't called school bus yellow, its Ace Hardwares "Canary Song" and it definitely took a while for me to get used to, but now I actually really like the color.  We distressed it by sanding the edges of the drawers and the top.


Dresser Project


We also cleaned up the drawer pulls with some soap and water and I found the two middle ones at Anthropologie in their clearance section.

Dresser Project


Of the furniture redo's that we've done I really liked this one because we took an antique piece that they had their whole lives from my neighbors and renewed it and can now use it in our home!



1 comment:

  1. Lovely, Ems! What kind of paint and application did you use? I have about 5 pieces on the "paint" or lose list. I will not be sanding as your hubs so generously did as these are most likely not forever pieces, either.

    Thanks for the tip'~D

    ReplyDelete